Saturday, July 16, 2011

Refrigerator Pickles

Ingredients


6 small to medium whole beets (use similar size beets so they cook at the same time)
2 small onions
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
sprinkle of cinnamon

Directions


Wash and rinse the beets until all traces of dirt are gone.  Place beets in large heavy pan and cover with water over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium.  Cover and cook until fork tender (about 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your beets).  Remove from heat and drain. Let beets cool then peel or slice off the skin after removing the ends of the beets.  Slice the onions too and mix beets and onions together in a bowl.

I love the deep colour of beets. This is the colour of the water after you've boiled the beets. Be careful about spilling the water on anything you don't want stained.

In a cup add the sugar and pour in vinegar until the cup is half full. I've estimated the amount. Next pour in the oil until all the sugar and the liquids measure about 3/4 of a cup. Stir well and sprinkle with cinnamon. Just a few dashes will be enough. Now taste the mixture. You can add more sugar, vinegar and/or oil to taste. Pour liquid mixture over the beets and onions and mix well.

Store in the refrigerator overnight. This will let the beets and onions "pickle" and become flavoured before eating.  It is best to use an old pickle jar to marinate these pickles so you can shake them every now and then to make sure they marinate well. I didn't have an old pickle jar so I'm using a glass container with a seal proof lid.  These won't keep long so eat and enjoy!

This container isn't quite large enough for my beet mixture but it has a seal proof cover and I will be able to shake the vinegar mixture around from time to time to marinate the beets and onions.


This recipe is a variation of my mom's quick pickles.  Sometimes she would whip these up at Christmas but mostly she would make them when she wanted a sweet - sour taste with wild meat. I know most beet pickle recipes call for a boiled brine.  I recommend finding a recipe with a boiled brine if you want to keep your pickles in the refrigerator for a few months. This recipe is good if you hope to eat up your pickles quickly or you don't have any pickles on hand and you are craving for some!

11 comments:

Jan said...

This looks like a good alternative, to other recipes I've found and used when we had our big beet harvest a few weeks ago. I like the idea of being able to whip it up quickly the day before you need it. It's great to have family traditional recipes too. Yum! enjoy.

snowwhite said...

Your beet pickles are beautiful!! The combination of colors, wine-red and white, looks so cool. Cold pickles please not only the palate but also the eye, and stimulate appetite. I’m not sure whether I can find beets in a supermarket. But if I can, I would like to try your recipe. Thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I've always loved eating beets but have never enjoyed preparing then. I think it's the earthy smell that I tend to reject.

Joyful said...

Hi Jan, I love the idea of whipping up the beets quickly too. This is one of my comfort foods. xx

Joyful said...

Swnowhite, thank you so much for your enthusiastic praise. I do find the colours so pretty and stimulating as you say. I hope you can find some beets in the market. I know they even have beets in Kenya so hopefully you have them where you live! Enjoy your weekend also.

Joyful said...

Heidi, I understand. Since you don't enjoy cooking the beets, try this little dish with canned beets. They'll be quite fine. Enjoy!

Rhonda said...

I am so glad you left a comment on my blog today, I had lost track of yours when we had computers go wacky.

so I am happy to find you again :)

Joyful said...

Aw, that's very sweet of you Rhonda. It seems that my blog reader wasn't picking up many of your blog posts. So I'm glad to find you too!

Kilauea Poetry said...

This looks good with the beets and I love onions! My boys are growing cucumbers this year and I know the younger one wanted to pickle them. Thanks for the recipe!
I wanted to mention that we're on water catchment here (but not on your other post so as not to trivialize). If it doesn't rain for week it's like their declaring a drought- practiclly. We put up a bigger tank with this house because we'd wind-up running out (but would try and conserve). Some people are on county water though. I did leave a comment (hugs)

Kilauea Poetry said...

Oh, can you use this recipe for pickles? Thanks-

Joyful said...

Hi Regina, I really don't know if the recipe works for regular pickles but you could try it and let me know. As for water catchment, they do it a lot in the countryside in Kenya too. But this place I write about is extremely dry and gets very little rain. It is also rather hot so this would probably evaporate whatever rainwater that is caught. At least that is my guess.

Hello New Week

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well. In my corner of the world, I've been enjoy all the lovely tree blossom...