Monday, September 16, 2013

A Sunny Project

 One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!
Quilting quote from Stitching Cow

Hello friends,

I wrote here about my next project. I've decided that quilt will be for my nephew.  I'll make it in the same style as I made one for my mother (see here).  It will be a bit larger for snuggling on the sofa while watching television.

In the meantime I've selected this bright sunflower fabric from my stash for my mother's quilt. It will be larger than the other two I've made her so she can use it this winter as a cover up on her bed.



I wanted something bright and sunny for her and something that would blend with the colours of the standard quilts provided by the residence.

I purchased all of fat quarters over the past year and a half or so at different places. I really love the sunflower print and have been looking for more on line to no avail.



I cut out many of the squares and came up with the layout above.  Far too small.  So I have to add a few rows of coordinating fabric to make the quilt larger.  I purchased the sunflower fabric out of town and it's doubtful I can find more of  it.  I looked on line for it but whatever is available is in the wrong colour.

I've  already had one compliment on this work in progress.  I am hoping it will be a hit with my mother. I think this will be her Christmas present so I have a bit of time to finish it.

Here is the finished quilt top (sorry for the poor lighting).  I just need to trim up the edges a bit. I laid it on my bed to get an idea of appropriate length and width and to see how much "hang" there is.  The very top row which you "just see" in the photo, is exactly like the bottom row in the photo (which you cannot see).

The bottom row which you cannot see is the same as the top row (which is cut off in the photo).


I hope to find some coordinating border fabric soon. I'm thinking of two colours to frame the center and make it pop. Once I frame the quilt top it will be plenty large enough for mom's bed. Now I will get back to making my nephew's quilt top before finding batting and backing material for both quilts.


Dear reader, I'd like your help. 

Let me know what colours you would recommend for a) the inner border and b) the outer border. 

I'm thinking of brown as the inner border to pick up the colour in the center of the sunflowers, and red on the outside edge.  White might be nice too but that would get too dirty. I'm thinking there is too much orange but perhaps that would also work on the outside edge. 
I'd like your thoughts or other colour suggestions.

This is my world today for Our World Tuesday.

48 comments:

islandwonder said...

I definitely like brown as an option. I am undecided on a second color.

Joyful said...

Thank you for your thoughts! I may try to "patch" pieces together if I have enough fabric from what's on hand. I would need to purchase the brown fabric.

Unknown said...

Wow what a job!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Cannada.

Birgitta said...

Wonderful! Colorful! Maybe brown and white...

Joanne Noragon said...

This is beautiful. Hop on over to my sister's blog, Janicelovestoquilt. You two could be friends. She's in my sidebar.

Joy said...

You're doing so well with this Joyful, so bright and cheery and I'm sure your Mum will love it.
My first thought was brown for the inner border but I'm not sure about red - I see you've mentioned about perhaps patching together from leftover fabric for the outside border and I think that would look great, if you have enough of it!
Enjoy your week and your sewing!
Joy x

Joyful said...

Thank you Joy for your input. I was thinking maybe red because that is the background colour of the sunflower fabric (actually it's red and pink) but I've used orange as a predominant colour so don't think I want to veer to red unless I really must. I do love the sunflower fabric so will likely try to patch some of that together and hope I have enough. Enjoy your week too!

Joyful said...

Thanks for your input Birgitta. I've discounted white because it shows the dirt too easily.

Joyful said...

Thank you for the compliment, Joanne. I will visit your sister;-)

Joyful said...

Thank you for your kind comment, Gary.

Carver said...

That's a lovely quilt.

Al said...

Great quilt. But don't ask a color-challenged guy for suggestions on colors :)

Barb said...

How wonderful it will be for your mother to go to sleep and wake up in a field of sunflower! Wonderful handiwork!

KT said...

I agree to stay away from the white (but then again, we have two dogs). I like the idea of a brown.

I work with a woman who quilts and she is nice enough to bring in her creations every once and a while...just beautiful! She is with a group that does a square a month...and then they will put it together at the end of the year. I believe she takes it somewhere to be stitched...

Indrani said...

Beautiful quilt. A light shade of orange for inner border and a darker shade for the outer border.

Margie said...

It's a beautiful quilt (love the colors) and the sunflowers.
I can imagine your mom will love it!

Anonymous said...

What a cheerful quilt!

Fun60 said...

I love that quilt and what a great present that will make for your mum.

Diane said...

That is going to be fantastic. I would pick up the colour from the sunflower centres and red I think. Keep well Diane

Susan said...

Hello Joyful...Yes, I think your choice of colors for the inside and border of the quilt are perfect! It'll be so beautiful.

Had to chuckle over your comment on my hub's leaving the planter, thinking he lived in our house, too! ha haha He really doesn't care too much about decorating. He leaves that up to me. But yeah, he does live here. ha ha ha ha ha

Hope you have a happy Tuesday! Susan

affectioknit said...

That's a really pretty sunny quilt! I think the brown border would be nice!

~Have a lovely day!

clairz said...

Penny, you are teaching me about color combinations. I was wondering to myself what colors I would choose for the border and was stuck, although I could tell from your other quilt that there should be a high contrast color somewhere. I think your idea of brown with red with be perfect. This is looking so sunny and cheerful, I can't wait to see it when it is finished. Do you suppose that we've all gotten braver about color over the years?

maryaustria said...

A wonderful quilt! I love sunflowers! It looks so great!

Denise said...

I agree with your choices, brown and red.

Jan said...

Wow that fabric is glorious and I love what you have done with it. Your Mum will love it too I am sure it is so vibrant and warm looking. Your colour choices sound just right too.

stardust said...

Lovely quilt filled with tender affection. Sunflower fields in the bedroom would make your mother feel more cheerful.

Yoko

Cindy said...

Your quilt looks to be very cheerful. I was thinking beige or off-white along with your brown, maybe. It's very pretty and your mom will no doubt love it.
Hugs, Cindy

Teresa Kasner said...

I love those golden colors.. very cozy and happy. Bravo on finding those fabrics! How about gold fabric? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Joyful said...

Thanks for the chuckle!

Joyful said...

Thank you Carver. I love the happy sunflower print.

Joyful said...

Ya, Barb. I hope she likes it too!

Joyful said...

Thanks KT. I did find brown and red. If I have enough material to piece together I will make a border out of the sunflower fabric.

It's so nice that your colleague shares her creations with you. A lot of quilters send their quilt tops to places where they can be quilted by a long arm machine. I will do my own simple quilting.

Joyful said...

Thank you for your suggestions. They sound lovely and soothing but I was looking for something a little more dramatic this time around.

Joyful said...

Thank you, Margie for your sweet comments

Joyful said...

I agree1

Joyful said...

Thank you, Fun60. I think so too ;-)

Joyful said...

That's what I was thinking too. I did get the border fabrics yesterday. I've yet to cut them.

Joyful said...

Susan, thank you so much for your sweet comment. I'm glad you had a chuckle about my comment ;-)

Joyful said...

Thank you so much! You have a lovely day too.

Joyful said...

Clair, I chuckled when you said I'm teaching you about colour combinations. I don't know much about colours, only what I like. I did end up getting the brown and red though I think white and gold would have looked very lovely too. I'm buying darker colours so it won't show any more dirt and dust than necessary. Though they do the laundry where mom lives, I don't want the quilt washed so often. I think over time the NA culture has gotten bolder and braver with colour combinations and print mixtures.

Joyful said...

Thank you, Mary! I love sunflowers too. They are such a happy flower.

Joyful said...

Thank, Denise.

Joyful said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jan!

Joyful said...

Thank you Stardust. That is what I'm hoping :-)

Joyful said...

Thank you, Cindy. I think those colours sound lovely. I wish I had many variations of my quilt and more sunflower fabric.

Joyful said...

Teresa, gold sounds wonderful too but I bought brown and red yesterday. I hope it works well. Hugs. xx

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

Such a happy,beautiful quilt,your mother will love it.I like the colors brown & red,what you chose,it would make it really pop out as warm!phyllis

Joyful said...

Thank you, Phyllis. I'm glad you like the colour selection.

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...