Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saving & Giving

He who does not economize will have to agonize.
~ Confucius

Sometimes I post about what I'm doing to save money from time to time (you can search "frugal" in my posts to see some of them).  Other times I post a running tally of what I've saved during particular shopping trips.  It helps to keep me on track and accountable for spending.

I was inputting all my shopping expenditures onto a spreadsheet each month for awhile.  That way I could compare the costs over the year(s).  I still have all my receipts but whether I continue to input the information will depend on how much time I have.  Right now I am busy making projects on a deadline as I'm trying to get them finished for Christmas gifts.  When I am busy crocheting or quilting, I spend so much time on projects.  I hate to tear myself away to look at receipts and input data.   I'd rather work on projects, read or get together with friends for a frugal outing.  Having said that, my major savings strategy is still to shop the sales and examine my savings.  I just do it in a more general way.


At the beginning of each month or the end of each month, it is always time to do the "big shop" for the month's food and household items.  This week savings were as follows:
  • savings $9.12 Canadian on 2 weeks of meat (chicken legs, chicken backs, pork ribs, pork steak, ground beef).  Actual cost - $51.23
  • savings $ 28.43 Canadian on food from the pharmacy (eggs, butter, milk, cream, canned tomatoes/beans/salmon, popcorn, toilet paper. Actual cost - $54.52
  • Total cost ~ $105.75 Total saving ~  $37.55 Canadian
This week I have spent more at the pharmacy than usual because there are a number of things that were on sale that I wanted.  At the pharmacy I collect points for my purchases.  Once you reach a certain level of points you can redeem a certain amount of dollars and use it toward a purchase. I will be reaching $85 (Canadian) soon.  This is only the 2nd time I have been near  this level because I usually spend when I reach the $10 level.  When I reach $85 I will purchase multiples of things I need (butter, eggs, toilet paper, coffee, bacon, etc.).

I still have to shop at the grocery store for items which are only purchased once or twice per year (oil, lard, flour). These items are all on sale this week.  I also get a lot of savings week after week on vegetables and fruits at the local produce store.  The produce store is consistently less expensive for most vegetables.  When you add these savings up week after week they can be quite substantial.

For some time now, I've noticed that more and more things have risen dramatically in price.  Virtually everything is the local grocery store is now 30% higher in price (or several dollars more) than they were a few months ago.  I have watched prices steady increase over the past 3 years or so.  I've also noticed that some things, like toilet paper has doubled or tripled in price yet the number of sheets per roll has been cut in half.

Did you notice that the manufacturers have reduced the size of double rolls yet still call them double rolls?  Or is this only happening in my corner of the world?

You really do have to shop carefully and make sure you shop the sales if you want to keep your grocery bill close to what it was a year ago.

How about you dear reader?
Have you noticed the same things at your supermarket?

I purchased a high powered blender recently and saved a $100.00 Canadian, plus the cost of shipping and handling which was an additional $19.30 Canadian.


It arrived in the mail a few days ago.  I washed it right out of the box and promptly tried it out with some vegetables that were on their "last legs".  I didn't follow a recipe I just threw together a number of veggies. I didn't add water.  What came out was quite thick and tasty but more like cold soup than juice. I will have to read up on some recipes.  I already have a good blender but in order to use it I have to chop my fruit and veggies into smaller pieces and then I have to throw out or compost all the pulp and fibre that is extracted.

I am so looking forward to the new blender to use as a juicer. I am thinking I can simply wash the fruit and veggies and turn them  juices that retain the pulp and fibre. I will also be able to make hot chocolate and hot soups for the coming winter and ice cream in the summer!

 The new blender should save me a lot of money every month but I did notice it is extremely loud to operate. I will have to experiment before deciding if it is practical to use at different times of the day and night.  I worry about waking the neighbours or annoying them. If it really is too loud, I will have to send it back and look for a quieter version.

Well my friends you've heard what I'm doing to shave costs from the budget.

What are you doing to keep your food budget or household budget down?

Besides the ever increasing cost of food and household items, the needs in Kenya are always on the top of my mind.  The needs there are great.  The needs here at home have also been great and I've spent a lot on short travels.  Every dollar counts.

I'm still trying to raise funds for Elvis to finish his medical studies in Kisii, Kenya.  The number of those willing to help him have been small but I remain optimistic that a few more people will help out. Elvis is in his last year and time is short to come up with all the funds to help him graduate.


No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.
~ Charles Dickens

Kenya is a country that desperately needs medical officers (doctors, nurses and laboratory technicians).  When Elvis is finished his training, he is hoping to work with the people in the isolated northern regions of Kenya.  They can really need medical help.  They have to travel so far just to get a simple medical check up & many go without help for even the simplest of things.



If you could help spread the word about the campaign to help Elvis or even add a donation to help him that would be awesome.


For your convenience, you can use the button on the top right of this screen.

20 comments:

Jo said...

You're amazing the way you save and keep records, Penny! I also like everything in order, recording my purchases and savings but I too, prefer to work on some interesting project (not that I can keep up with you!) than do ole bookwork! I love the sound of your new blender. Enjoy ! Blessings and love Jo

Diane said...

Revolving map is not sending off any malware today so all seems to be well. Sadly I have lost mine off my page as everyone was complaining so it had to go! N keeps records all the time, it is interesting to see where costs go and what you save. Well done. Have a good day, Diane

Joyful said...

Hi Jo, I do save a lot of records; too many, lol. I still have a lot of work to do to sort out my paperwork and determine what I want to save and what I want to eliminate. Slowly I will get it all done. I do like my new blender but it is so very loud. I may have to rethink it but I do love the idea of making hot soups like pumpkin soup.

Joyful said...

I'm so glad to hear that Diane. I do have protection against malware which I run every few weeks to keep things clean. I think sometimes too we get messages which are not accurate where widgets are concerned though I also know that these can be the ways that viruses get passed around. I'm sorry to hear your lost your map. I personally find it interesting to look at on a regular basis. Glad to hear that Nigel keeps good records. It is a helpful way of learning where the money goes and where you can make changes. Have a great week!

africanaussie said...

Well you sound very busy, I look forward to seeing some photos of what you have been making. I set up an excel spreadsheet for our budget and luckily my hubby fills it in consistently. It is useful to make sure we are sticking to our budget. I like the unit pricing we have here - that way you know what a sheet of toilet paper costs and can compare esily.

Joyful said...

Hi AfricanAussie, I am very busy but keeping a good pace, not a frantic one. You are lucky your hubby will fill in your spreadsheet so you can both analyze your spending. I think the unit pricing practise is wonderful. Here they try to "fool" the consumer with things like that and most people don't bother to calculate the unit prices before purchasing.

Paula said...

Hello!
I used to collect all records and track the expenses:
http://ratherthanfacebook.blogspot.co.at/2010/07/lets-face-it-account-day.html
Back then I spent more money on cosmetics. You could say I built a stock that I still use today, like brushes etc).
You can tell from my photos: it was something I did enjoy.

Now that I cut down my expenses, I also quit collecting the records. Only those that might be useful in case something breaks while under guarantee (1 year, can be 2 years, depending on the product).
And about every 3-4 years I go through those bills and throw away the bills that won't be of any use in case the item needs to be repaired.

I used to track down my expenses on hobbies, transportation, pharmacy, cosmetics food...
I save a lot of money and as long as I am saving I see no longer the need to track every expense.

There is one simple way to cut down the costs on food-expenses: I quit eating animal products. Even though vegetables are expensive these days, in the end a vegan diet is cheaper than any other diet. It has to do with the fact that all those convenience-foods and snacks are off the list, since 99% of them contain some kind of dairy product(s).

Lentils, seitan, tofu and nuts are a cheap alternative when it comes to protein.
Also I hardly throw away any food from the fridge. Ham, cheese and cream always ended up with a grey/green surface. ;-)

I also safe money because my immune system improved and I need less medicine :-) My acne disappeard - I spent a lot of money on skin-products and cosmetics. I even went as high as Erno Laszlo!! The prices on those products are bizarr!
Overall I feel more content and don't need those shopping experiences to feel good.

Sorry, if this sounds misisonary. I just noticed while writing how many positive effects the change of diet had and how I not only lost weight but also safe a lot of money.

Earlier this year I had my hair cut really short and needed a trim every 4 weeks. I decided to let it grow back to chin-length, you could call it a bob. I am not there yet but I already noticed that I don't need the trimming that often. I can buy a lot of groceries for 1 haircut!

Not saying that I don't feel this ... urge ... for a pair of diamond earstuds, square shape, white gold setting, 1 carat total weight. Hahaha! (I AM serious about those diamonds)

warm regards,
Paula from Vienna

Susanne Tyree said...

It is a rat race at times to be frugal and saving. I went to the grocery yesterday and while looking about the produce section I came across some huge beautiful Brussels sprouts. There were 6 packs all marked down to 0.99 cents each. The original prices were:
$3.29
$3.41
$3.05
$3.41
$2.69
$2.92
I bought them all, they still looked good, the expiration date for selling them was to be today.
I brought them home, cleaned off the outer leaves (we all do that anyways, don't we) and I blanched them up, cooled them down and divided them into 5 quart zip-loc freezer bags....TA DA! Their original price was $19.77 and I got them for a steal at $5.94. I can eat from that bunch all winter long. I love finding bargains and stretching the dollar.

I remember years ago I during a drought I used the bath water to flush the toilet. There were a lot of people dealing with their water wells running dry. There are all kinds of ways to save and conserve. People just need to sit down and think before they take action.

The hair thing, good idea, I colored my hair 2 times in the past years, only because I left the girl at the beauty shop talk me into it. Then I got wise, I would be lining her purse with my money every 5-6 weeks to do the touch-up stuff and I said NO, I was not going to do this thing. I was going to learn to age gracefully and if the hair turned gray, then so be it. I earned every gray hair on my head! I don't cut my hair any more, I don't waste money at all at the beauty shop. I put my long hair in a granny bun or pony tail and don't worry about style or fashion. Besides, the Bible says that a "woman's hair is her crown and glory, to cut it is to be shorn like a sheep".

Thank you for this posting. I plan to go back and read it again. You have a lot of good ideas and points here. I am sure everyone can benefit from a lot of your good advice. Also, thank you for coming to my blog and leaving your nice comments.

Hope your weekend is going well,
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Susanne Tyree said...

I want to add that the "hair thing" was directed toward the comment from your follower Paula. She made a good point, and your post is helpful because it allows people to also add to thrifty and good ideas for saving money. We all help each other and that is what counts in the end.
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Powell River Books said...

I notice a big difference on some items between the States and Canada. We live near the border and shop on both sides. If something is cheaper when I am already in the States, I stock up and bring it north with me. I can't include the extra cost of the trip because I am going south anyway. I grow and preserve some of my own food during the summer. That helps for a few things in winter. But grocery shopping and gas are two of our biggest items each month. - Margy

Terra said...

Hi, you won the copy of my Christmas book from my blog give away. Email me with your address so I can mail it to you, I am thekilns1 at hotmail.com or leave a message on my blog. Congratulations and please contact me soon.

Joyful said...

Hello Paula, it was very lovely to hear from you and your generous comments about your experiences tracking spending.

I totally agree that once you have a very good idea about your expenses there isn't much need to track them anymore. Although for me, keeping the bills and a general tally here and there is very good to ensure I know where I am spending and helps make sure I keep in check. It is still so easy to go off track.

I have also been experimenting with eating less meat, both for health and monetary reasons. It really does make a difference to my health and the pocket book if I don't eat meat or diary. I do still eat meat and drink milk but far less than previously. I also go through stages where I eat more meat than other times (like winter).

My big spending areas in the past were clothes, shoes, magazines and books and eating out I've managed to reduce all these areas and practically eliminate them altogether and tracking expenses helped with this

I no longer spend at the hair salon except for $40 every 3 months for a hair cut and condition. Henna is my inexpensive and healthier alternative to endless trips to the salon .

After all your savings maybe you can yet afford the diamond earstuds. Better yet, get Diamonelle. They are much cheaper and look like the real thing.

Warmly,
Joyful

Joyful said...

Hi Susanne, thank you for your comments. You really did get a steal on your brussels sprouts. We don't have them in packages here. They tend to be loose so you just pick the amount you want to purchase. I'm like you when it comes to grocery shopping and get thrilled about saving so much off the original prices. But it does give me pause to see how much these stores really make off of the foods we buy.

Like the blogger Paula, I've been buying a lot of vegetables to add to my diet. Even those have gone up a lot in price, as you've experienced. I can't keep up to vegetables once I start blending and juicing. I need to go every day if I juiced more often but don't want to go every day. Every other day is often enough.

I think using the bath water to flush the toilet is a good idea even when there is no drought. It is important for all of us to do what we can to save and conserve. So many people still do things without thinking about how they are impacting the environment (land and resources), the people around them or themselves.

Hair colouring and monthly trips to the hair salon can be expensive. We can do as you do or we can colour our own hair. I don't want any more chemicals on me than I need so I use henna to colour my own hair. I still go for a cut every 4 months or so but my hair is long so I really just need a trim.

I'm glad you've enjoyed the post today. I enjoy reading your blog too.
Have a wonderful weekend. Big hugs. xx

Joyful said...

I understand.

I save money in other ways too...hair included ;-) I've probably covered that aspect in one of my earlier "frugal" posts.

Hugs. xx

Joyful said...

Hi Margy, I don't get to the States much but when I do get there I try to stock up on things that are a little harder to get here. The things I'm buying aren't a whole lot different in price (yarns, fabrics) but I know there can be a huge price differential on many items. Since my trips aren't overnight trips I am always concerned that I will be charged the customs duties at the border. If I am it wouldn't be any cheaper given the enormous duty costs. I imagine you are probably staying down there awhile and so you have an added advantage.

It is good to save money on the shopping south of the border and preserving your own food. I haven't got to the point of preserving my own food yet. I have a very small plot to grow things on but it is something I would like to do if I can ever get my community allotment that I've been waiting for for so long.

Thanks for coming by. Enjoy your weekend. xx

Joyful said...

Wow, Terra! I'm very excited and looking forward to receiving the book. I'll be in touch.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm a frugal shopper too. I think creating a weekly menu goes a long way towards saving money as you use everything you buy.

Yes, grocery prices are going up, up, UP! That's for sure.

Joyful said...

Hello EG CameraGirl,

It's great to hear from another frugal shopper! I confess to being fascinated by weekly menu planning. My mother didn't do this in an official way as I was growing up and I don't do it now. I've read the weekly menus of many bloggers but I'm still not there yet. I don't enjoy "new to me:" routines and "tracking" very much because I already have to do a lot of it. I do think that menu planning is a good thing and so It is on my list of things to work toward when I have more time.

For now, most of the cooking in my household is limited to what we have on hand. I very seldom buy anything outside of the sales for making the meals. I make sure we have plenty of vegetables and side dishes (pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, cous cous, lentils, different beans, noodles). I have a variety of meats from the sales and we often make soups, stews, home made breads, etc. When I compare my food bills to those I read on line, my bill is comparable or lower but I'm always looking for improvements. More meatless cooking and menu planning will help me get there ;-)

Maybe next year I will get with the program and create weekly menus...maybe.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the price increases. I just can't get over how much some things have gone UP!

Linda said...

I watch for sales at the supermarket. Also, I go to the dollar store regularly to load up on things like paper towels, which are cheaper there.

Joyful said...

Hi Linda, I like the idea of going to the dollar store. They are handier where my mom lives. Where I live, not so handy so I only get there now and then.

Hello New Week

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well. In my corner of the world, I've been enjoy all the lovely tree blossom...