Monday, August 15, 2016

A Profusion of Colour

It's been a busy time preparing for guests and doing deep cleaning in advance of arrival.
I'm glad all the cleaning is basically done because it is going to get far too hot for it in a few days.

After days of cleaning, I relaxed by taking photos and catching up on my reading goals. I've become very behind on my reading goals for the year and needed to make progress.



 








At twilight the sky is serene.


It's hard to get a good night shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This week has been rather warm but it is going to get very hot by Thursday. I'll probably be looking to go to a mall or movie just to sit somewhere cool


Reading Progress This Week

The Temptress by Paul Spicer. This book attempts to solve the mystery of who murdered Lord Erroll in colonial Kenya.  I read this book primarily to learn more about the life and times of the early British and American settlers in Kenya. I enjoyed the quick read.

The other book,  West With The Night,  is the memoir of Beryl Markham.  It doesn't follow a chronological order of events in her life. Instead it focuses on  her life as an aviatrix and to a lesser degree on her experience as a horse trainer. I enjoyed the first half of the book a lot.  About half way through I got tired of  the style of writing and the lack of detail about other facets of her life.


However, Beryl Markham had high praise from the well known author, Ernest Hemingway who had this to say about her book
  "Did you read Beryl Markham's book, West with the Night? ...She has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer. I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and nailing them together and sometimes making an okay pig pen. But this girl, who is to my knowledge very unpleasant and we might even say a high-grade b*, can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves as writers ... it really is a bloody wonderful book."
 ~~~~~

 I  also made some good progress on a few of the books on raw food eating that I took out of the library a few weeks ago.


New Book Started

 The new book I've started is a musical memoir written by Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics.



I'm joining Lady Fi and others at Our World Tuesday.

Have a great week everyone!

(Note: Blogger seems to be doing funny things. It published my post twice but failed to publish several comments I've approved. I apologize to Melanie, Joanne, Teresa, Eileen and Sally. I don't know why your comments will not publish.  Thank you for taking time to leave a comment. I'm hoping they will yet appear).

11 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Gorgeous macro and sky shots ~ fascinating reading post too.

Wishing you a happy week ~ ^_^

Kayni said...

I love those purple flowers. I'm drawn to flowers are a shade of purple. Beautiful photos!

Al said...

Very pretty. I always love a cityscape with a mountainous background.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your relaxation gave you some beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing them with us.... i'm glad you took some time away from your busy schedule for these shots.

Red said...

you're reading far more than I am. I'd like to read as much as you do.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Your photos of flowers are exquisite. Such deep lush colors and textures. I am fascinated by European and American settlers in Africa. My wife's family has a branch that went to Africa (I forget which country) as missionaries and lived there several generations and then they all came back. I would love to know more about them. Beryl Markham is one of my favorite women. She was such a leader in so many fields.

Stephanie said...

Your photos took my breath away, dear friend. The flowers are truly stunning and show God's handiwork. Hugs to you!

Diane said...

Gorgeous photos one and all, well done. Keep well Diane

Laura Beth said...

It's great that you have reading goals, I need to make some myself! Congratulations on your progress!

Nonnie said...

Your flowers are beautiful. You are quite the avid reader and the books sound interesting. Funny, here where I am, I don't think of there being malls in Africa. 😊

Jeanie said...

Oh, your pansies are dazzling -- such clarity. Fabulous color. And good job on all the reading!

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...