Saturday, July 23, 2011

Boat Tour on Lake Baringo

A big welcome to my newest followers, Follygirl and Nancy at A Rural Journal. Thank you both! 
My readers may reach their blogs by clicking on the underlined names.


An unforgettable experience during my stay at Soi Safari Lodge was my boat tour on Lake Baringo. I hesitated to go on the tour due to limited time but the irrepressible tour guide, Sylvester (pictured above) was so charming and so persistent. He ultimately convinced me to go on the tour and tailored the everything to my needs.  Sylvester surprised me when he started speaking French to me because he knew I am from Canada. Alas, my French is too rudimentary to carry a conversation, even a simple one.

I took many photos and  I've decided to combine a number of them into collages so I can share as many as possible in this post.

First up is a collage of the hippos. There were a number of them in the lake and we were able to get quite close. In the reeds there was also a crocodile and though I did see it skimming just below the surface, it was difficult to get a photograph.  The house in the mosaic is privately owned by foreigners.  There is also at least one campground nearby but I didn't have time to check it out.
 
Bird life is abundant in the area. In the space of a few minutes I found several species of birds.
I was hoping to see the African Fish Eagle such as in our guide's bird book, but no such luck. My boat tour took place later in the day.  Several tours had already gone out and the eagle was not hungry.

The guides will purchase a small fish from fishermen right on the water.  They then throw the fish up in the air and the eagle, if hungry, will swoop down and catch it.
I was very intrigued by the fisherman's boat.  The boat is made from wood that is extremely light and buoyant. It feel and looks like cork but I've learned that it is "ambatch" or balsa wood.  The people of the Njemps tribe are the ones that make the boats with this wood.
There were a number of different boats on the water that day.
The scenery in the area is spectacular, whether you are viewing from the water or from the shore.

These men really got my attention. They were taking cows to market in Marigat. I've never seen cows transported this way before but there are no roads to where they live.

One of the 6 or so cows that was being transported was having a very difficult time of it.
As you can imagine, cows are precious cargo so there is no way these men were going to let anything happen to the cows before they got to market.  I saw the men next day in the town of Marigat a few days after market day.  They no longer had cows with them and they seemed to be enjoying a break in town.

You can make out the rooftop of the distinctive Soi Safari Lodge.

Here is a close up of the main building of the Soi Safari Lodge as the boat nears the shore.
More tourists are eager to get in the boat and go on tour.

This concludes my tour of Lake Baringo.  If you missed my post on the Soi Safari Lodge you might want to read it here.  I hope you've enjoyed the tour of this area.  Please join me again soon as I will be stopping at another beautiful place not too far away.  Please also check in at other Scenic Sunday submissions for more fabulous stories and scenes from around the world. Simply click below.  I hope to see you again.

Please leave and comment and then come back and click the widget to see more of Scenic Sunday from around the world. Enjoy!



34 comments:

Lydia said...

This looks like so much fun! I love traveling as well so I love seeing pictures from places that I haven't had the pleasure to visit! Great photos

Joyful said...

Thank you for your visit, Lydia. I'm so glad you've enjoyed the tour!

Kilauea Poetry said...

I really enjoyed your post today. Wow..never have I seen cows transported that way! I bet they were relieved after that haul!! Your mosaics are nice too..a smart way to feature many of your photos together. I would of loved to see the Eagle as well.
Thanks for the tour..enjoy your day tomorrow my friend~

Joyful said...

Hi Regina, I'm happy you enjoyed the tour and the mosaics. I know how much you love wildlife so you probably would have loved the boat tour. I agree that the poor cattle were probably relieved after their swim. Have a wonderful Sabbath. Shalom my friend.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I like the boat that are branches tied together. Do they use tar to seal the joints so they don't leak.

Tes said...

Lovely mosaics. Good capture. Your photos tell a beautiful and exciting story! :)

Joyful said...

Hi Ann, I like those boats too. I've found out that the wood used is called Balsa wood but I don't know what is used to fill the cracks of the boat. Apparently there is a tour you can take and see how the Njemps people live where you can watch them making the boats and smoking the fish they catch in the lake.

Joyful said...

Tes, thank you for your visit and your nice comments. The boat tour on Lake Baringo was really one of the highlights of my journey to Kenya.

KT said...

The wood boat is quite interesting...I don't think I could make one if I tried! I didn't know cows could swim. )

Fjällripan said...

Great post, so interesting to see how life can be in an other part of the world. Have a nice day :)

Sivinden said...

Very interesting about boats and birds and more - nice shots.

Dimple said...

Thanks for the tour! I love visiting bloggers from everywhere; through them I get to see parts of the world I will never physically visit. I feel sorry for the one cow that was having such a hard time; I hope it made it safely to shore! Even with the owners valuing their cows so highly, sometimes accidents happen....

Míriam Luiza said...

Que emocionante seu passeio! As fotos são lindas! Fiquei com dó das vacas. Tem que ter outra maneira para transpotá-las.

George said...

Thanks for taking us along on your boat tour. It was definitely scenic, both in terms of the landscape and the wildlife. It was interesting to see how the cows were being transported to market.

Urmi said...

I liked your blog very much. I love to travel and enjoyed your post a lot. I appreciate for your wonderful photography. All the pictures are absolutely mind-blowing.
You are welcome at my post-
http://urmi-z-unique.blogspot.com
http://amazing-shot.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It is so very nice to meet you. A very interesting post and photos today. Wishing you a wonderful start to your week.

Eden said...

Beautiful photos. I enjoyed so much your photos. Thank you for taking us there.

Nancy said...

Amazing photographs and so many interesting facts about the region. Thank you!

Fred Alton said...

Very nice Post! I enjoy reading about and seeing the pictures of your visit to Kenya. Very much!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos!
Ronell

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

looks like a wonderful tour and bird watch, takes for taking us along with you on this tour :)

Al said...

That's a great tour, nice shots. I'd love to go on a boat tour like that.

Icy BC said...

Wow..fascinating photos, and the wooden boat is quite interesting. Your mosaic is beautiful.

Joyful said...

Hi KT, it was the first time I've seen cows swim. I don't think they like it that much.

Joyful said...

Fjällripan, thank you for your visit. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour of Lake Baringo!

Joyful said...

Sivinden, I'm happy you enjoyed your boat trip ;-)

Joyful said...

Dimple, thank you for your visit and your comments. I agree accidents do happen but in this case, I believe all cows made it to shore and to market. They destined to be sold for food so they will ultimately meet their end. Just in a different way.

Joyful said...

Miriam Luiza, so nice that you visited and left a comment. Welcome!

Joyful said...

George, I think seeing the cows swimming was the most eye catching thing for me as I'd never seen it before. I also love the water life but have had some other exposures to it.

Joyful said...

Babli, it is so kind of you to leave such enthusiastic praise :-) It is comments like yours that make me blog and continue to blog.

Joyful said...

Mildred, it is very nice to meet you too. I do hope you will come again and I wish you a very wonderful week ahead.

Joyful said...

Eden, you are most welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Joyful said...

Nancy, nice to see you. I appreciate your visit and your kind comments so very much!

Jessi said...

Wow! That was fun reading your post. I did not even know you had a blog. We were also at the Soi Safari Lodge, not to stay, just for lunch, and then for the boat ride. All but I think one other of the lodges/resorts were under water and flooded. Our guide said it would be five years before they can rebuild because of all the water. Thanks for your link.

Hello New Week

Hello friends and fellow bloggers, I hope you are all doing well. In my corner of the world, I've been enjoy all the lovely tree blossom...