Thursday, September 21, 2017

September Sunset

Much colder weather definitely arrived last weekend and carried through most of the week. We also had some rain. The first in a long while. 







We didn't have the best summer.
We had very inclement weather until well into May.
After that we went directly to extremely hot weather interspersed with very smokey skies from all the wildfires burning to the north of us.
Once that was over we went directly to very cold-ish temperatures and rain for a few days.
The current forecast is expected to be sunny for the rest of the week. I'm not sure what the temperatures are going to be but I'm already "missing"summer because winter won't be very far behind.
We Canadians do like to complain about our weather.

At times when I want to complain about things like the weather, I remind myself that other places have seen much worse and are dealing with real devastation.
There doesn't seem to be such a thing normal weather anymore. 
What we used to count on for seasonal weather no longer exists.
 A few years ago I heard a Canadian Climatologist say we should now learn to expect the unexpected in terms of the weather.  So these days I never quite know what to expect and I take nothing for granted when it comes to the weather.

I can only hope and pray for the best in the sense of peace and safety and protection of property and persons from destruction when the worst in weather arrives.

As we transition into Fall I am grateful for some things that the summer months brought.
There are many things to be grateful for, some smaller, some larger:
  • the ability to make progress on my long 'to do' list 
  • putting in a garden though the planting season was much later than usual 
  • getting my cataract surgery accomplished and not having any problems with it
  • visits with long time far away friends and relatives
  • most friends and relatives were fine and unaffected by wild fires and wild fires did not get close to my home (however one relative and his family members had to be evacuated)
  • my friends in Kenya did not suffer personal violence during the recent elections (another election will be held next month because the country's Supreme Court invalidated the August election)
  • all my friends in USA came through Hurricane Irma more or less intact and with minimal property damage.
Hurricanes, fires and recent terror attacks and threats in various countries have created a lot of fear and anxiety amongst people, including me.
My faith in God and thinking about the basic essentials in life which I need to be happy (my list: shelter, water, food, relationships, hope & love) are a huge help in keeping calm and carrying on though the storms of life (literal and figurative).


 Have a blessed weekend.
I pray peace to you and your families.

24 comments:

Jeanie said...

Stunning photos, Penny, and your gratitude list is so thoughtful and wise. Yes, much to be grateful for.

Linda said...

Robin, I laughed when you said that we Canadians love to complain about the weather. Here in Montreal (all of Quebec, actually), we celebrate the various seasons with a Winter Carnival and such, and this has been a joy for me. Here in Montreal it has been pretty hot and humid, but Sunday is marked to be a record, as it is supposed to reach 39 celsius with the humidity! Yikes! I am grateful for air conditioning, as this type of heat is very dangerous.

Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. I really like your positive outlook, and this will help you through many trying times!

Joyful said...

Hi Linda, I laughed too when I read your comment. In my neck of the woods we are always talking about the weather and boo hoo-ing when it is inclement or too hot and so on. On the other hand we do all love the 4 distinct seasons we have here and the fact that we don't get as much snow. If we want it we can go up to Whistler. Talking about the weather is one of the things that makes us Canadian, eh?

Joyful said...

Thanks so much for your kind words Jeanie.

carol l mckenna said...

Good to see you back ~ your sky sunsets are awesome as are your macro floral shots ~ thanks ^_^

(A ShutterBug Explores)

Red said...

It's sickening to watch forests destroyed by fire and then destruction from rain and wind from the hurricanes.

Joyful said...

Thank you Carol. I will enjoy more future visits to your blog :-)

Mari said...

We Americans complain about the weather too! Today it was 95 degrees in Michigan, which is quite incredible but people were complaining. I wasn't, but when the snow flies I'm afraid I'm guilty too. :)
Pretty pictures!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful sky shots... love the colors. Wonderful macro shots, too!

Lady Fi said...

So very gorgeous

Lessandra said...

Two of my favorites - sunsets and flowers. Lovely photos!

jabbott said...

Hi Penny, it really is lovely to read your blog once again and hear your news.I am glad you are doing ok, what with the fires you mentioned. Your photos are stunning, I love the orange frilly poppy xx

Visits With Mary said...

Beautiful pictures!!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Gorgeous sunset and love your flowers

Nonnie said...

Wonderful pictures and I especially like the sunset and the lighted cross. I'm thankful with you about your people in Kenya. That scripture is one of my favorites.

NatureFootstep said...

lovely flowers and a fine colorful sunset :)

Breathing In Grace said...

Oh, I just love this post. I so enjoy reading things that others are grateful for. I've made a lot of progress on my to-do list, too...although I wasn't even aware I had a list...LOL I've just been busy lately!!! LOVE your pics...gorgeous flowers and that sky...WOW!! HOPE you have a great weekend....thanks for sharing and linking up with FFF!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great colorful skies and flowers. I love the scripture as well.

Beckyathome said...

Those flowers and the sunset are so beautiful! My husband enjoyed them, too.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Yes your list is long but you are a fortunate one. I often wonder about why so many are forced to suffer and how faith can give them power in such adversity. Your photos are gorgeous.

Diane said...

Love the sunset shots. We also complain about the weather, we are a bit like farmers nothing is ever just right! We had what we consider to be a very short summer and yes autumn seems to have arrived early, although thankfully the past week has been a bit better here.
Our friend who live in Nevis seem to have got off fairly lightly so far but as they say the hurricane season is not really at an end yet. Our friend on the BVI says it is a total disaster. Luckily he has a concrete house which survived but everywhere outside is simply flattened.
Mexico City does not sound good but I have nobody there to give up to date news which I am thankful about.
Take care. Have a good week, Diane

Terriea Kwong said...

Your beautiful capture of nature! On my first day landed Comox It's chilly with rains but now is not that cold. I also seen stunning sun rise these days. Hope weather is still good when I return to Vancouver this Thursday that would allow me to see more the beautiful Vancouver. Hope probably can do biking in the park.

Grant Nguyen said...

Such beautiful photos, love the various colors.

Lady Fi said...

Wow - gorgeous skies!

A Few Days in March ~ Skywatch Friday

Hello friends and fellow bloggers. I hope Spring is treating you well so far. It's been roller coaster weather where I live with mostly ...